Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day..."

I'm a proud Democrat because I believe in the Declaration of Independence and all it stands for. I believe that it is essential for government to have a role in helping Americans reach a certain standard of living that includes wages that keep families out of poverty, good and timely medical care, and the opportunity for an education.

From my understanding, most Republicans follow a "free market" kind of philosophy, and that the government should not take a role in matters such as those I just mentioned. In my limited insight, I feel that the Republican platform is often based on the premise that "hard work reaps financial rewards". While I feel that this is sometimes the case; in my opinion the world is all about shades of grey and has little to do with black and white. For example, it angers me as much as the next guy when someone abuses the welfare system and lives off my tax dollars. However, I refuse to see the world as one full of those looking to abuse the system. I try my best to see the inherent good in everyone, even those who have been dealt a seemingly impossible hand in this life. In fact, I have always been the bleeding heart type. My entire career has focused on serving the mentally ill population, many of whom live off Medicaid. Their world and its challenges are very different from mine, and I can tell you that living off $9,000 for the year doesn't leave one with much extra cash for the frivolities that life has to offer. I urge anyone who hasn't learned about generational poverty and the inherent struggles of certain American citizens to pick up a book by Jonathon Kozol or Ruby Payne. You might be enlightened and you might feel that your load is just a little lighter than you thought it was.

I'm not writing to bore you with my raging liberal ideas that many of you don't agree with, such as why I think that you should be able to marry regardless of your sexual orientation, or why I feel that stem cell research is both morally and ethically sound, or why I believe in positive diplomacy over a "you're with us or you're not" style of foreign policy, or why I think that women should make decisions regarding their own health and bodies. I am writing this because I can completely grasp why someone would vote the way they do because of any of the above "hot button" issues. I do have a harder time understanding how we can overlook our neediest citizens and reject social conscience. And that is why I am a proud Democrat and hopefully more than just the raging liberal I am often labeled to be.

3 comments:

annie said...

“If by a ‘Liberal’ they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties—someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a ‘Liberal,’ then I’m proud to say I’m a ‘Liberal.’” John F. Kennedy, Democrat

Mindi said...

ooh I love that!! xoxo

Nicole said...

Well said!